martedì 13 novembre 2012
Auditorium in the Church
Auditorium in the Church of Saint Francis’
The church originally had a neighbouring Franciscan convent, build by priests, which was abandoned in 1835 and destroyed in 2000 in the town of Santpedor, Spain.
Seeking to save what was remaining of the church nextdoor, architect David Closes injected an auditorium and cultural centre while maintaining original dimensions.
“Rather than reconstructing the church, the intervention has just consolidated the old fabric, clearly distinguishing the new elements that are executed of the original ones,” Closes says of his clever solution.”The intervention has consolidated the church without deleting the process of deterioration and collapse that the building had suffered.”
Ancient brick walls are now dotted with elements of modern glass windows, concrete supports and bright lights and these new aspects somehow work more in harmony with the original space than against it. Partial roof collapses and holes have been filled in with windows, thereby allowing natural light to stream inside. Historic barrel vaulted ceilings are illuminated by sleek and slender lights. Glass walls separate public spaces from crumbling stones which act as an encouragement to visitors examining and appreciating the space’s past.
Project: Auditorium in the church of Sant Francesc convent
Location: Santpedor (Catalonia), Spain
Area: 950 m2
Client: Santpedor City Council
Author: David Closes (architect)
Collaborators: Dídac Dalmau (construction engineer), BOMA (structures consultants), Toni Vila (industrial engineer)
Date of project: 2005 (1st phase), 2010 (2nd phase)
Execution: 2006-2008 (1st phase), 2010-2011 (2nd phase)
Builder: Construccions F. Vidal / GrupSoler
Cost: 1.601.553 euros (vat included)